LOUISVILLE, Colo…..2016 was a landmark year for Forge Nano. The company, formerly PneumatiCoat Technologies, is a Colorado-based startup that innovated a breakthrough technology to enable precision nano coatings at scale for manufacturing of products such as Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) battery materials.
In the fall of 2016, Forge Nano closed a Series A investment of $20 million. Propelled by the investment, recent company highlights include:
- New Production Facilities & Expanded Capabilities: Forge Nano expanded from a 3,000 square foot industrial garage and 200 kg per day pilot plant to a 12,000 square foot facility in Louisville, Colorado where the company has built a new 1000 kg per day light commercial Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) particle coating tool. By the end of this year, Forge Nano will increase ALD particle coating capacity to several tons per day. The capacity of these two tools will create the economy of scale needed to make ALD particle coating commercially viable to our customers.
- Testing Proves Forge Nano Technology Doubles the Life & Significantly Increases Output of Li-Ion Batteries: Oak Ridge National Labs have verified and published results http://www.nature.com/articles/srep26532 confirming that Forge Nano ALD coatings improved capacity retention in Li-Ion batteries. Additional studies have shown that Forge Nano ALD coatings on anode and cathode materials significantly increase safety, provide 300% increase in cycle life and 20% increase in energy density in Li-Ion Batteries.
- New Patents Issued: The USPTO issued two new patents to Forge Nano, strengthening its Intellectual Property Portfolio for Lithium-Ion Battery Materials. US9,570,734 and US9,546,424 were issued for a total of 10 issued patents. These patents give Forge Nano exclusive rights to ALD coated battery materials and the high throughput production process. In addition there are 6 pending patents and 13 Intellectual Property licenses along with numerous collaborations and ongoing integration & licensing with research labs/universities in the areas of batteries, fuel cells, capacitors, supercapacitors, conductive inks and catalysts.
- Projects in Development for over 50 Global Companies: The outlook for Forge Nano’s continued growth is strong, with projects currently in development with more than 50 global companies, including ten Fortune 500 companies in the energy sector.
- Employees Added: To handle the growing demand for its technology, Forge Nano has grown from four employees to its current size of 25. The company is projected to continue to add employees in 2017.
- Titanium ALD Coated Golf Balls Created for NaatBatt Annual Conference Golf Tourney: Conference participants enjoyed the fun giveaway that demonstrated ALD coating, but the verdict is still out on if golf scores were improved by the ALD coating!
- Awards: In March of 2017, company CEO Paul Lichty was honored as one of the Denver Business Journal’s “Forty Under Forty.” Lichty was recognized for the company’s important innovations as well as his own personal commitment to mentoring other start-ups. On April 13th Forge Nano received the 2017 Colorado Manufacturing Award for Innovation in Product Manufacturing. https://companyweek.com/articles/colorado-manufacturing-awards-2017-innovation-in-the-spotlight .
- 2017 Conference Presentations: In 2017 Forge Nano is presenting at several industry conferences including the 2017 NaatBatt International Annual Meeting & Conference, The International Battery Seminar, the National Renewable Energy Labs Industry Growth Forum, the National Defense Industrial Association Joint Service Power Expo, the 2017 U.S. Department of Energy Annual Merit Review, the 17th Annual Advanced Automotive Battery Conference and The Battery Show 2017. See full list on Forge Nano website.
For more information visit www.forgenano.com.